Add Caribbean Flair to your Thanksgiving Menu
November 15, 2012 - Sandals Resorts - Dining
If there is one way to bring people together, it's with food; which is why Thanksgiving is a favorite for many. There is a mixture of love, laughter, appreciation and most importantly a blend of new and traditional dishes. Most families celebrate with menu items such as a turkey, ham, and mac and cheese, but why not spice things up this year with some island flavor?
You may not be able to escape to the Caribbean which is why we will bring a piece of it to you. We wanted to share a special Caribbean style recipe that includes ingredients used as part of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. It’s easy, fun, and will have your friends and family asking for more.
Sandals Style Sweet Potato Soup
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, halved, washed, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 long red chili, deseeded, chopped
- 800g sweet potato, peeled, cubed
- 600g carrots, chopped
- 5 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup light thickened cream
- crusty bread, to serve
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Add cumin, cinnamon and chili. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add potato and carrot. Stir to coat in leek mixture. Add stock, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove pan from heat.
- Blend or process soup, in batches, until smooth. Return to pan over low heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in coriander. Spoon into bowls and drizzle with cream. Serve with crusty bread.
- Variation: You could replace the sweet potato with 800g butternut pumpkin.
Hope you enjoy, and be sure to share with your loved ones!
Groups come together to form "Project Caribbean" To Target At-Risk Women in the Caribbean...
Sandals Resorts and Beaches Resorts have been highly ranked in this year?s Conde Nast Traveler Reade...
Quality Assurance Award Recognizes Resorts for Achieving High Level of Performance in Servicing Cust...
Gordon "Butch" Stewart, Chairman of Sandals Resorts discusses the rich history of the Caribbean in a...
Adam Stewart, CEO of Sandals and Beaches, recently took a trip to NYC for Caribbean Week. While ther...
For gamers and adults at play, Xbox One will now be featured at the world’s best all-inclusive resor...
When vacationing at Sandals and Beaches in Jamaica, you can now “LIVE FUNNER” with new Island Routes...
The Sandals Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Sandals Resorts, is excited to announce a three-yea...